Monday, February 9, 2009

The Rap Pack...

Well, the 51st Annual Grammy Awards have come and gone. I thought the show was long and about as semi-entertaining as most award shows. While some don't like the mash-ups of artists old and new, I actually do enjoy the performances where you get to see artists in different genre's come together. It doesn't always work, and some people prefer the purist view of just having the artists play their own hits...but I kind of like the break from the ordinary. I would say that I do agree with the idea that they should go back to having a host...or give the presenters a little more freedom (or poorly scripted jokes or something) to spice things up a bit. I also agree with the complaint that they always seem to have the award winner performing right before their award is announced...give us a little suspense please. Finally, I like to think of myself as fairly open-minded musically, and try to listen to a little bit of everything....but why does it seem like every year there are 4 nominated songs/albums/artists that I either like, or at least know about..and then someone else whose song I've never even heard wins. I realize air-play and popularity shouldn't be what matters...but if the album is that great, shouldn't I have at least heard it mentioned at some point? I dunno....maybe I just need to step my game up.

Anyways, I enjoyed Wayne's New Orleans tribute with Thicke and all the NO jazz people, was disappointed in the lack of girls kissing girls during Katy Perry, thought Taylor Swift, McCartney, and Coldplay all did well...well actually everyone was good...but nothing was amazing or stood out.

I suppose the biggest surprise/highlight for me was bringing together Kanye, Jay Z, Wayne, and TI to do Swagger Like Us (though poor MIA shoulda just been behind a podium or piano or something...cuz I was afraid she was gonna have the baby right then on stage...and being honest...its her hook...but she just doesnt belong with the other 4)


Here's the video....

No comments:

Post a Comment